Sunday, November 11, 2007

What are the odds?

What are the chances of this happening to you?

I got an email this week from a Julian Hewitt, and opened it expecting to hear from another volunteer here at GVI named Julian, ( whose last name is Crawley, but my brain missed the difference.) When I read it, and cleared up my own confusion with the names, it was from someone wondering about this post I made back in August:
http://clementsworldtour07anewbeginning.blogspot.com/2007/08/thailand-observations-and-musings.html

His wife had googled his name and discovered my post about the Julian Hewitt who left his boarding pass in a book I found in a book-trade pile in Koh Tao. It turns out that he has the exact same name as the guy who left his ticket stub in that book I picked up AND had been to Thailand AND had been on a flight with that same flight number! But he flew in 2007 not 2002 so it must be ANOTHER Julian Hewitt. Weird. I wrote him back to see what book he might have been reading and to find out more. What do you think - does he have a doppelganger roaming around somewhere? I think it's creepy-neat to imagine there is someone else on the planet, sharing your name and maybe some similar experiences. What if you came into contact with them? I can envision the Twilight Zone episode where that person tires of their own life and tries to take over yours...

Hmmmmmmm...
Clement