Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Whoops, old post out of order.

All right, here's my first rookie blogger mistake - I couldn't get this to post a couple of days ago (it's supposed to be my 2nd post,) and now it's out of order. Hmmm, learning experience I guess... Anyway it's from June 3rd and I've already updated the first one to today, grrrrrr, so take that into account if you get mixed up like I obviously am!

In Manassas - just did two days at Vintage Virginia, a huge wine festival with something like 60 wineries!! I even ran into my old head brewer from Cap City days, Bill Madden, who is brewing out in Leesburg. Random meetup! Tasted most of the 17 wineries we hadn't hit before and hung out with Anne & Marianne who are roommates and work around here somewhere. Hot and sunny so much I thought I'd die Sat and then rainy and cool on Sunday, so there was a big difference in the crowds each day. Lots of bunches of friends having a party and couples sharing a cool experience - I'd definitely recommend this activity for either group, just make sure you have a driver, there are cops everywhere!!!
My fave? = Fabbioli Cellar's "Tre Sorelle" and Villa Appalachia's "Toscanella" Also tried a great Sangiovese, but cannot recall which winery right now. I'm definitely into the Italian Reds, big feel, dusty dry and exploding flavors. Yummy!
Other notes, did a 1 hour rain run this morning and saw "Mr. Brooks" starring Kevin Costner this evening - disturbing look into the mind of a serial killer, the people they encounter and their cult of personality.
Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get a vaccination for Japanes Encephalitis and then head to Lake Monticello for the night... after that it's up and out for a looooooooong drive to the far corner of SW VA as we finish up the winery visits for this book. I think there's like 139 in the state and I must have done half of them with my friend the author. We're down to the last 20 or so so it's home stretch time. They are all starting to run together in my mind and I don't know how she is keeping them straight - maybe I should have learned that lesson in school and taken some notes?