Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Cuisine in Abingdon

So here I am in the far side of VA looking at some wineries and we ask the hotel desk clerk (who can't be more than 17, but that's another story,) for a restaurant recommendation, and he talks up this place called the Pepper Mill, "They have great Bourbon Pecan Pie!". We check it out and it looks like a BBQ joint - with the requisite visible dumpster and "Use side door" sign taped to the obvious door out front. I go into full DC snarky restaurant snob mode and try to talk my dining companion into looking for something better. But it's getting late, it's been a long drive and longer day and I don't feel like wandering all over town, so we stay.

And it's FANTASTIC!!!

Decent, reasonable (really reasonable!) wine list, and the food is phenomenal! Just like I would open - high class food in a funky casual atmosphere. Service knew what they were doing and the owners were great. I had a ginger lime salmon, she had a balsamic sauced ravioli (true,) and got to taste a roasted pork tenderloin from this great table of ladies next door. And was impressed by all - this was definitely the best meal I've had on the road.

I would link their website but when I checked it, it doesn't work - oh well, it is SW VA after all... But if you are ever near exit 19 on I-81, stop in.