Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer Update

Wow, I cannot believe two weeks have gone by - time sure flies when you are doing not much... Actually, I've been a lot busier than that. Still in VA, right now I'm holed up at my sister's house for a couple of days, helping out with the nephews and enjoying TV and internet for a change. I am loving staying at my parent's house at the lake but the no TV or internet thing is a big switch from Reston where I had high-speed wifi, every cable channel and a DVR... I got out of the TV habit (no Entourage!) in a week but the internet addiction is much tougher! I heard on NPR a year or two ago about a study that paid people to give up all internet for a period of time (maybe 2 months or so,) that ran into problems because almost all the subjects cheated or tried to pay their way out of it. At the time I laughed, but now, not so much. I've been trying to pirate neighborhood signals to check email! I have to drive in to a bar in Charlottesville to watch soccer games and have met some soccer junkies there. Cheered on the USA in a HUGE victory over the dastardly Mexicans... We're planning on meeting on Thursday for the US vs. Argentina game, go USA!!
So what have I been doing you ask? I've been up to DC a couple of times to root for my beloved DC United, get shots, and visit friends. A couple of parties there and just last week I wangled my way into a rec-league soccer game. They were short a goalie and I modestly offered my services to avoid the forfeit (neglected to mention to my teammates that I haven't played that positiion since I got addicted to scoring goals at age 8.) A bunch of borrowed gear later, I was all set and even managed to keep the ball out of the net. After half-time I offered, "If anyone's tired, we can trade shirts and I'll go play the field?" And before I knew it, I was laughing my way up and down the field, having a blast!!!! Only downside was the lavender jersey, (who chose this??) We held on to tie a much more talented team and I came close to a goal or two, but Oh The Feeling! I forgot how much I missed it - looking back and trying to put it into words I realize I sound like Frank DeFord getting a boner over baseball so I'll spare you. Let's just say I will be finding a team wherever I settle.
My best friend came down to the lake last weekend and we had a great time, cooked out and cruised around - even went into C'Ville for the nightlife.
When in Richmond I've been hitting the pool every day with my nephew, playing with him and doing laps during the Adult Swims. I think the playing may be more of a workout - diving after toys, racing around, and throwing him all over might not be Gold's Gym approved, but whew! It's hilarious but every day, some woman looks at me, looks at CJ, looks back at me and says "You're Melissa's brother the Dive Instructor!" all these Moms have heard about me from CJ or school or something. I think they realize I'm not CJ's Dad, note the turtle tattoo and connect the dots. Then the best part is they all say "I'm ____'s Mom, " while I've got 6 kids in the pool draped over me and I have no clue the names of any of the kids. Interesting how when you have children your name changes.
Other than that, I've been reading, running, biking, canoeing and just started hiking. I've bought a big backpack for my big backpacking trip, (go figure,) and am taking advantage of the nearness of the Shenandoah and the parks around. Nothing overnight, just some strenuous day hikes with about 40 lbs. in the ruck. Trying to get ready for Kilimanjaro, I guess, but not sure if it will help since that will be in January and I've got lots of flat islands and diving between now and then.
Only other athletic plan of note is a 5K race coming up and a swimming race across the lake set for July 4th, I'll let you know how it goes. My sis asked me the other day if I was going to get into triathlons (smart ?, I've been running hard for a couple of months, swimming now that pools are open and just got a bike,) and I actually wondered if I might. But then I imagine triathlete bodies - lean, sinewy runner types and I'm more the broad shouldered swimmer type - and laugh at the picture.
I just realized how much I've gone on without writing the biggest news - I've got my whole itinerary for The World Tour '07! I will put it up in another post, you'll have to check back and tune in but here's a hint (other than the Kilimanjaro thingie,) I may have to rename the blog "Clement's World Tour '07-'08!"
Hope you enjoyed the pics of the pool and hiking...
Ciao and stay wet!
C