Friday, July 6, 2007

The Itinerary!!!! (Cue dramatic kettle drums...)

You know, it's just a bunch of copying to get this in, but even now, I'm resisting the urge to write about other stuff - 4th of July at the lake, sightseeing Monticello, the results of my 5K race and Cross-Lake swim. But, no - I've been getting bugged to share this so all that other fun stuff will just have to wait until the next time...

July 30th
Newark to San Fran, then to Sydney on United. Arrive the 1st!!

August 1st
Sydney to Townsville on Virgin Blue

Visiting Jenn at James Cook University. Diving Great Barrier Reef and renting a car to go trekking Aussie wilderness in Queensland.

August 8th
Townsville to Brisbane on Virgin Blue

August 9th
Brisbane to Bangkok on Thai Airways Intl

2 months of diving and touring Thailand, I also plan to hit Cambodia, 'Nam, Malaysia & Indonesia. Not sure if I have the time... 2 months isn't enough!!??!! Definite Chiang Mai for cooking class and massage class (sign up now for demos when I return...) Definite Phuket, Ko Tao, Ko Samui & Ko Phi-Phi. Definite Angkor Wat and Killing Fields. Def Ho Chi Minh City, Hue and Delta. Def Singapore, and surf lessons in Bali. Def dive somewhere in Indonesia...

October 7th
Bangkok to Qatar on Qatar Airways (should be a fun flight.)

October 8th
Qatar to Seychelles on Qatar Airways

10 weeks volunteer project counting turtles, tagging whale sharks and doing coral reef surveys.
You wouldn't believe the amount of homework I need to do to prepare!!
Here's an overview of the expedition:
http://www.gvi.co.uk/pages/expeditionDetail.asp?expedition=57
I've pretty much decided against extending here and trying to get a job like I'd talked about. They make it hard - no guarantee ahead of time so planning was hard and if you are accepted, plus there is a three week gap I'd have to fill before it starts - and I've had to make plans for after the project ends. Maybe I can come back months later...

December 20th
Seychelles to Mauritius to Madagascar on Air Mauritius (hmmm!)

Plan to dive Nose Be and see some rainforests.

December 26th
Madagascar to Kenya to Tanzania on Air Madagascar (parachutes thoughtfully provided...)

Dive Zanzibar, climb Kilimanjaro and make way overland to Nairobi visiting Olduvai Gorge and safari parks along the way. Ship Dive gear home (and pray) and buy/rent some warm stuff for Mountain Climb and next stop...

January 18th (CJ's Birthday!)
Kenya to Rome on British Air (end of roughing it for six months!)

Gonna get some warm (and fashionable!) clothes and visit Rome and Naples and Pompeii - staying south this time.

January 25th
Rome to London to JFK on BA again.
Land late at night and stay with friends in NY - any volunteers? Email me!!

January 26th
Get home to parents somehow and start to figure out what to do with the rest of my life - any suggestions?

If you have any thoughts on the trip or suggestions what I should see or do that I haven't put in here, please let me know.
Dates and destinations are set - I've got a big envelope full of airline tix - but I welcome any input!

Ciao and Stay Wet,
C