Friday, July 13, 2007

I set a new diving record - 13,500 feet!!

As Ron Carmichael, my Cave-Diving Instructor once said, "as long as your descents equal your ascents, you're doing fine." Well, today I wrecked his theory. My airplane takeoffs now outnumber my landings - I took a shortcut down!
This morning, I drove to SkyDive Orange, got a little bit of training and did a tandem jump!! Wow, what a rush!! I was buckled to Nick, my Instructor, when we went out the door at 13,500' and freefell (freefalled?) for almost a minute down to about 6000' where I got to open the chute. Then Nick taught me how to maneuver and we did some dizzying spins and swings before coming in for a nice soft butt landing... High Fives and wobbly knees all around as the other 4 students completed their dives, too. "Wow!" is all I can say. Freefall is amazing, but it goes so fast! It seemed like about 10 seconds and I'm still trying to remember all of it as the adrenalin wears off. My comment to Nick was, "When can I go again?"