Saturday, October 6, 2007

Bangkok - Part Deux Et Trois!

(It's been awhile since I've put anything up so I'm going to post this now, and then add pics in the next day or two, when I post about my volunteer project in Seychelles, so check back!)

I have made Bangkok sort of a hub for my SE Asia wanderings. Central, fun, cheap and modern - it has worked out great stopping in here for a day or two between expeditions. The first time back, before Cambodia, I replenished toiletries and bought my super new camera on the advice of Theresa, whose cool cam I'd envied in Koh Tao and Sulawesi. (For a demo, check out my flickr page and notice the quality of the photos from that point on...) This recent time I've also gotten a lot accomplished.

First off, I took two days of Thai Massage lessons. The academy was very thorough, I got all kinds of illustrations of the body's energy lines and what parts of the foot can be massaged to affect all the specific parts of the rest of the body's organs. I received a bunch of demonstration massages, watched some and got to work on the masseuses who had free time. By the end of the second lesson I was exhausted! I don't know how those slim, tiny girls have the strength to give massages all day, my arms and shoulders were aching - I needed another massage!

For my last full day, I decided to play tourist and booked a day-trip. On the schedule were a famous floating market, a visit to The Bridge Over The River Kwai, and the best was saved for last - the tiger temple!

I got an early start on a full mini-bus (only American again, of course,) and after two hours got a transfer to a longtail boat which took us to the market. It's a riot of color and noise with sales people parked in tiny skinny boats all along the sides of the canals, hawking a thousand different nifty souvenirs. Even better were all the little old ladies paddling around in tiny canoes selling fruit and cooked food. Many were even cooking right in their boats and I stopped to sample all kinds of new Thai treats.


Then we were off to the famous River Kwai Bridge, where the Japanese put thousands of Allied POWs to work as slaves to build a railway connecting Thailand to Burma. The officers and guards were brutal and ruthless and thousands upon thousands died completing the project - which was prompltly and repeatedly bombed by the Allies. The whole affair was just another example of the beastly way the Axis acted in WWII and would have been forgotten but for a successful movie and a catchy little whistled tune. It was interesting to see and the cemetary was respectful and moving, though the museum was kind of a disappointment.

Last of all, we took a two hour visit to a Buddhist Temple that has tigers roaming all over it. Well, not exactly roaming, but they definitely have a lot more freedom than you see in a zoo. The monks walk them on chain leashes like some overgrown striped Lab,... one that can rip your arm off if it feels like it! They had several tiger cubs around and they are really playful, I had one gnawing on my hand for a minute and I can tell you, it's not exactly like playing with Voodoo! There were also herds of wild pigs, antelopes and some cattle and water buffalos too. The monks really had to hold on tight when the tigers were led near the herds.

After a long minivan ride home, we all went out on Khao Sahn Road for my last night and then after a banana pancake and a quick hairtrim the next morning, (which was waaaaayyyyy overdue,) I headed to the airport (again,) for a long day's travel to the next stop on my adventure - the volunteer expedition in the Seychelles!

Some final Asia thoughts:

Sometime last week in Bangkok, right after I hopped off a river taxi and headed to my next discovery with barely a glance at a map, swerving through the packed crowd, crossing a crazy street while dodging wrongway scooters effortlessly, and checking out street vendors for that little bite of something I craved, a sudden wonderful feeling came over me. "I love it here," I realized. The crowds, smells, noise, language, strangeness, and mayhem had become second nature and I realized I am thriving in a very alien land. I felt really at home while being comfortable with the fact and knowing that I am very far from home.

My travel epiphany is that home and happiness is where and what you make of it. There is so much to the world, more than one person can ever hope to see, and that's OK so don't sweat it. Travel is not about where you go, the point is you see what you can and don't worry about what you might have missed, meet whoever you can and really pay attention to that person and learn a little something about their life and their world, see what is in front of you instead of missing it while looking ahead. THAT is the point. As it's been well and often said before - Life is a journey. And I'm really learning that it's all about the Journey, not just the destination...

On a lighter note, one of the best things I've learned is a way to fool the electric system in hostels. On the wall of almost every room, right next to the door is a plastic housing that you must slide your room key into to activate the electricity in your room. When you leave and take the key, all the power shuts off including the fan you are using to dry your recently hand-washed clothes. Simple solution - fold up some currency from the previous country (so no loss if it gets stolen,) in the shape and thickness of your key card and voila - dry clothes!

All for now, Ciao!
Clement